New Swiches and Crossings design capable of reducing failures, maintenance costs
- Top down design, rather than bottom up evolutionary design (WP1) will allow radically different solutions to be identified that have the potential to provide a step change in performance.
- Identification of innovations from other domains (WP2) will bring new ideas and concepts to the area of S&C design.
- Embedded sensors and digital signal processing solutions (WP3) will provide radically improved fault detection, diagnosis and prognosis capabilities.
- Development of S&C immune system (WP3) will provide self-healing capabilities.
- Development of fault tolerant kinematics systems (WP5) will provide ‘limp-home’ capabilities so that the system will still operate even if a fault is present.
- Validation of design concepts (WP6) will ensure that the solutions are practicable.
- Evaluation of design integrated design (WP7) will quantify the impact (economic, performance, etc.).