Generate solutions for 24/7 working
- Top down design, rather than bottom up evolutionary design (WP1) will allow radically different solutions to be identified that have the potential to provide a step change in performance.
- Modular architecture (WP2) will allow differentiated solutions to be used, and also new innovations to be incorporated without changing the whole systems.
- Identification of innovations from other domains (WP2) will bring new ideas and concepts to the area of S&C design.
- Development of S&C immune system (WP3) will provide self-healing capabilities.
- Innovation in logistics and installation (WP4) will increase the efficiency, and hence move towards 24/7 working.
- Simplification of design and less components (WP4) will make component replacement straightforward.
- Development of fault tolerant kinematics systems (WP5) will provide ‘limp-home’ capabilities so that the system will still operate even if a fault is present.
- Validation of design concepts (WP6) will ensure that the solutions are practicable.
- Evaluation of design integrated design (WP7) will quantify the impact (economic, performance, etc.).